Based in picturesque Canberra, QuintessenceLabs has been building cybersecurity products since
2008. QuintessenceLabs’ commercial products include a fast, high quality random number
generator based on quantum principals, a world-leading enterprise key management appliance, and
virtual zeroisation for microSD cards. Our R&D projects include quantum key distribution and chip-
scale quantum random number generation. We have a diverse, inclusive, small and highly skilled
team including specialists in software development, hardware engineering and quality assurance.
We have just completed a major funding round and are poised to exploit the rapidly growing market
for quantum technologies.
Benefits of working at QuintessenceLabs
• Work on a variety of products, commercial projects and/or Defence-related projects
• Options for remote or flexible work available, regardless of location
• For Canberra-based developers: option to work at the beautiful Brindabella Business Park
campus, including cycling and gym facilities, ample parking, childcare centre, sports grounds /
tennis courts and plentiful green space.
About the position
As a software developer at QuintessenceLabs, your work will cover enhancing our existing
commercial product lines and development work on prototype products and projects.
You will work primarily in C, Python or PHP on Linux systems, but opportunities exist for work in
other languages or platforms on a case-by-case basis. You will work in small groups (2-10 people),
and with experts from the hardware, physics and/or QA teams. Your ultimate goal will be to give
people tools to protect their information and systems in an increasingly challenging world, whether
keeping legal records safe from prying eyes or developing systems that give our defence forces a
We have a variety of full time, permanent positions open at junior and senior levels, depending on
skills and prior experience.
Who we are looking for
• Australian citizen or permanent residence
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science / related field, or at least 2 years industry experience
• Skilled with at least one of C/C++ or PHP development
• Skilled people driven to make positive contributions to their team be it large or small.
Nice to haves
Experience with one or more of the following concepts is not required, but will help you stand out
from the crowd:
• Comfortable with the command line
• Using relational databases (especially PostgreSQL)
• Concurrent programming
• Git / Gitlab, Jira or Jenkins
• Hardware security modules
• Network programming in the client/server model
• The concepts behind PKI
How to apply
Email your resume and a brief cover letter addressing the four key criteria we are looking for, to
QuintessenceLabs is the leader in quantum cyber-security solutions. We are pushing back the boundaries of what is possible in data security, to let our customers push boundaries of their own.
Our quantum cyber-security solutions deliver the strongest foundation for data protection, harnessing the power of nature. They include a leading key and policy manager, an embedded high speed quantum random number generator, and the safety of a secure key store. In parallel, QuintessenceLabs is at the forefront of the development of advanced quantum key distribution technology protecting sensitive data assets from the most sophisticated threats. Our customers and partners include major banks, government, defense and cloud service providers.
QuintessenceLabs was founded in Canberra, Australia and has an office in San Jose, California.