Quantum Optics Researcher
About the position
As a quantum optics researcher at QuintessenceLabs, your work will cover ongoing R&D on our
Quantum Key Distribution product line. Depending on your experience, you may also get a chance
to work on our Quantum Random Number Generator products.
You will work as part of a small, multi-disciplinary team (5-10 people) to improve the quality of our
product and increase its speed, distance, stability, and manufacturability while maintaining security.
You will interact with specialists outside your group from the roles of logistics, quality assurance, and
product support. You will work with remote customer sites to support and measure proof-of-concept deployments of first-generation products and feed the results into improved designs.
Your ultimate goal will be to give people tools to protect their information and systems in an
increasingly challenging world.
- A citizen of Australia, the U.S., United Kingdom, or Canada
- Willing to move to Canberra and work on-site in our lab facility
- PhD in experimental optics, quantum-optics, optical communication systems or related field, or
- Experience with scientific programming languages such as Matlab, Mathematica, or Python
- Some experience with design and maintenance of complex experimental systems including
optical, electronic and computerised components
- Familiar with laser safety standards and safe work practices
- Excellent oral and written English language skills and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team
Nice to haves
Experience with one or more of the following concepts is not required, but will help you stand out
from the crowd:
- Background in Quantum Optics Theory
- As much experience as possible with:
- Electro-optical modulators and homodyne receivers
- Optical phase-locked loops and/or intradyne receivers
- Building custom detectors
- Fibre-optics systems
- RF electronics components such as amplifiers, filters, mixers, …
- System optimisation
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
- Packaging of optical systems
- Use of the Linux operating system
- The C programming language
Benefits of working at QuintessenceLabs
- Work on cutting-edge technology and see it deployed and operating in real-world settings
- Continue to push the state of the art in CV-QKD systems
- Learn from experts in QKD theory, information theory, error correction, electronics, and
- Work with a small company with professional, friendly colleagues
- Our lab is located at the beautiful Brindabella Business Park campus, including cycling and gym
facilities, ample parking, childcare centre, sports grounds / tennis courts and plentiful green
- We offer flexible working arrangements when possible
- Competitive remuneration package for the right candidate
How to apply
Email your resume and a brief cover letter addressing the key criteria we are looking for to:
Dr Warren Armstrong
Director of Engineering
QuintessenceLabs is the leader in quantum cyber-security solutions. We are pushing back the boundaries of what is possible in data security, to let our customers push boundaries of their own.
Our quantum cyber-security solutions deliver the strongest foundation for data protection, harnessing the power of nature. They include a leading key and policy manager, an embedded high speed quantum random number generator, and the safety of a secure key store. In parallel, QuintessenceLabs is at the forefront of the development of advanced quantum key distribution technology protecting sensitive data assets from the most sophisticated threats. Our customers and partners include major banks, government, defense and cloud service providers.
QuintessenceLabs was founded in Canberra, Australia and has an office in San Jose, California.